Edibles

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Roasted Potatoes with Garlic Jack Béchamel and Broccoli Slaw


Abandoned Edibles
yukon gold potatoes, broccoli slaw, garlic jack cheese
(additional ingredients: milk, butter, flour, spice rub, etc.)

What I did: sliced potatoes, sprinkled with spice rub, roasted in oven. Made a basic béchamel sauce (roux, milk, whisk whisk whisk), shredded garlic jack cheese, incorporated into béchamel. Sauteed broccoli slaw in butter and olive oil. Served with potatoes on bottom, slaw on top, and béchamel on slaw.



The Verdict
Well. The potatoes and garlic jack béchamel were GREAT; the slaw--not so much. I had issues with the texture. I was trying to think of ways to use it without making a 'salad' or 'slaw' type side dish (seemed too easy), but I'm not sure this is the best use. PS, as an aside, it should be noted that by the time I got around to taking the picture, the béchamel had thickened a bit, so the dish didn't look as 'pretty' as I would have liked.

Taste: 6
Creativity: 6
Appearance: 6

Improvements for next time: sadly, I think the slaw would be better used in a different application. The slaw consists of matchsticks of broccoli and carrots, so...maybe as an egg roll ingredient? I DO have a plethora of egg roll wrappers, after all! Or chopped up and thrown in a soup? Of the cheesy broccoli variety, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment