Edibles

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Creamy Mushroom Soup with Crispy Wontons



Abandoned Edibles
mushrooms, organic heavy whipping cream, Q'uorn chik'n cutlets (seriously the spelling of this product is really getting on my nerves), pepper jack cheese
*BONUS* leftover AEs: eggroll wrappers, "fresh" thyme (additional ingredients: mushroom soup base, onion, flour, garlic, milk, spices, etc.)

What I did: once again, I found mushrooms and heavy cream in the cull bin. It's been rainy here these past few days, so I figured a soup would be perfect! Also, I realized I LOVE crispy crunchy vittles in my soup (the baby bok choy soup taught me that), and I just so happened to have leftover eggroll wrappers in my fridge, so...viola: crispy wontons were made for the garnish! As for the actual soup, it was pretty simple: I sauteed mushrooms, faux chicken product (which is actually made out of fungi), onions, and garlic; added cream, milk, water, soup base; grated cheese, thickened soup, added thyme, simmered. As easy as a five dollar hooker!



The Verdict
Very rich. Delicious, but rich--perhaps I used TOO much cream? At any rate, the faux meat product worked perfectly in this soup, and, I swear--the crispy wontons made the dish. That added textural element is such a welcome addition!

Taste: 8
Creativity: 6
Appearance: 7

Improvements for next time: less cream, more mushrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment